Friday, May 25, 2012

Homemade Sloppy Joes

These are my husbands absolute favorite. I think he'd be happy if I made them every day of the week. I found the recipe in a magazine 5 years ago and I've tweaked it to meet my needs. These are so much better than the awful canned sauce you mix with ground beef and only take a little bit more effort. This meal is the best thing to make on a rainy summer day (you know those late summer storms Lugh is so famous for) when you want the flavor of summer but your stuck inside.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Ground Beef
  • 1/2 Large Onion
  • 2/3 Cup Ketchup
  • 1/4 Cup Water
  • 1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp White Vinegar
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • 1/4 Tsp Ground Mustard
  • 1/4 Tsp Chili Powder
  • 1/8 Tsp Ground Allspice
Directions:
  1. Saute ground beef and onion until beef is browned and onion is translucent. Drain excess fat.
  2. Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, chili powder, and allspice.
  3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
  4. Serve on hamburger buns and enjoy!
This recipe actually makes quite a lot of Sloppy Joe filling so you can easily feed four and have enough for sandwiches the next day.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Crimsonrose,I have just found you thro Life of a domestic witch blog,Like the look of yours and have joined you,look forward to reading more.Love Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog. So nice to encounter a fellow sister witch who eats meat!!! Yay!!!!
    Love and Light,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an omnivore through and through, I don't think I could give up meat even if I wanted to, I view it as all part of the circle of life and death.

      Delete